Saturday, May 3, 2014


There has been a lack of posts lately, and that's partially because I'm dieting and don't want to be tempted with baking, and also partially because I had a concussion (dun dun duuuun!). If you're wondering what happened, I was trying to fix our litter box because our kitten likes to mess with it, and just generally ruin everything, when she started causing more mischief and so I jerked my head up to yell at her, and hit my head on a 4x4 that's above the litter box. I didn't think anything of it until it was about half a week later and I was experiencing lightheadedness and something I can't describe properly. It felt kind of like my head was really full... I don't know, it was weird.

I went a whole week before I decided that I should really go to the doctor because I wasn't getting better. Once I went she diagnosed me with a light concussion, since I wasn't experiencing really severe symptoms. Then she told me the worst thing ever, that the only way to get better was to have brain rest. What is brain rest? It sounds like it could be pretty nice, just some relaxing right? No... In theory it sounds nice but in actuality it was completely terrible. First she told me that brain rest meant no school work, and that sounded great. But then she said that it also involved no TV, computer, or even texting. She said that "screen time" was one of the most straining things for the brain, and that even 15 minutes would be detrimental. So she said to have brain rest until I was symptom free for at least twenty-four hours, and to then only work/use a screen for small intervals so as not to overexert myself.

This was the worst thing ever, and I didn't exactly follow her instructions. I tried the brain rest. For a whole weekend I decided I wouldn't worry about school, and I would just relax. But you know what's really boring and hard to do? Nothing. I failed miserably at doing nothing, and ended up watching TV for most of the weekend, although I wasn't really watching completely, I mostly closed my eyes and listened to it, but I could see how it wasn't actual brain rest. Then the weekend was over and I missed one day of class because I was still feeling weird. The next day I decided to go to school, and I felt almost back to normal, but still not quite right. Wednesday was hard because I had an exercise class that I couldn't miss (exercise is also not okay for people with concussions). It was mostly okay, except for a moment in the end where I got really light-headed. As of Thursday, I'm feeling back to normal, except every once in awhile I'll get a little light-headed.

Now I'm coming up on finals, so I'm not sure what the blogging will be like. I'll either decide to actually be productive, in which case there probably won't be a lot coming up, but I also might decide to procrastinate, in which case stay tuned for more blogs!

No comments:

Post a Comment