Friday, June 20, 2014

Lemon Brownies?!?


This recipe was originally found on Pinterest as "Lemon Brownies." I got the recipe from Bakerella, and I think when I found it it was also called Lemon Brownies but since then she's changed the title to Lemony Lemonies... I'm guessing she also had a problem with them being called brownies. I get it, since they're cake-like things that you eat as bars... but... doesn't hearing "lemon brownies" make you question the recipe? Anyway, I decided to make these because my friend Kenzi made them, only she didn't have powdered sugar so made the icing with granulated, which made for a crunchy topping. I was having a craving for something lemony, so I decided I'd try out the original recipe. 

Preheat the oven to 350 degrees.
 Our ingredients for the bars:
vanilla
1 cup flour
1 cup sugar
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3/4 cup butter, melted and then cooled
2 eggs
3 tablespoons lemon juice 
Not pictured: 1 tablespoon lemon zest
 For the icing:
1 1/2 cups powdered sugar
2 tablespoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon lemon zest
 Combine the flour, salt, baking powder, sugar, and lemon zest

 Add the melted butter
 The lemon juice
 The vanilla
 And the eggs
 Stir until combined
 Pour into a greased pan
 Bake for ~25 minutes
 For the icing combine the powdered sugar, zest, and lemon juice



Once the cake is completely cooled spread on the icing.

I tried these immediately after I was done making them, and wasn't too impressed. They were definitely better the next day once the icing had a chance to harden a bit. They are good if you are looking for something easy and lemony, but they aren't the most amazing thing. I think what ruins it for me is the icing... I'm not a huge fan of the taste of powdered sugar, and with this type of icing you can really taste it... maybe it'd be better with something else... or I can always use granulated sugar like Kenzi :p

No comments:

Post a Comment