Thursday, April 10, 2014

Vanilla Custard with Nutmeg!

I was trying to think of something to make, something that I hadn't had in really long time. This was one of my all-time favorite things as a kid. I'm pretty sure we just made the jello kind though... So I thought I'd try out a real recipe. I of course found this on Pinterest, but the original recipe is from EvilShenanigans. I really appreciated this recipe because it was super easy, and even though it took a lot of time, it wasn't time that was actually spent doing something... I was just sitting there, waiting to eat custard...
 The ingredients (SO FEW INGREDIENTS)
 The eggs (2 whole and a yolk)
 Adding the sugar
 Then the vanilla
 Whisk until combined
 Heat the milk until it simmers
 Add it one ladleful (or spoonful if you don't have a ladle) at a time, while constantly whisking
 After all the milk had been added
 The recipe said to strain it, but I think my strainer was too big, and didn't strain enough
 Straining got some of the bubbles out, but I had to scoop out a lot more
 Poured into ramekins
 Sprinkled nutmeg on top
 Placed them in the oven, and then filled the pan with boiling water
 After they were baked at 325 for about 40 minutes
The finished product

This recipe was so fun to make, because it was so easy and there were so few ingredients. Plus I'd never made a custard before so it was new and cool. However, these didn't taste super awesome. The custard just tasted kind of bland... and I don't think I messed up (I even added a bunch of extra vanilla). I might try another recipe for this (or I might buy the jello version and save myself time and effort while knowing I'm gonna get deliciousness for sure). I liked the experience, but not the taste. 

No comments:

Post a Comment