Friday, August 15, 2014

Cake Batter Pie Anniversary Special!

Hey everyone! So I know I've been super terrible and I haven't done a blog in quite awhile. Real life took over for a bit, sorry... Will had a live show for work that took up a lot of time, and then right after that we left for a vacation in Vegas (which went terribly wrong so many times... but that's for another post). I've also been busy working, and trying to get my application for school done. Anyway, enough with the excuses.

I was getting ready to make a brand new beauty blog post, but then I turned on my camera and found these pictures from MONTHS ago! Our anniversary was way back in the beginning of June, and that is why I baked this super yummy/weird pudding pie. Will is a huge fan of anything cake batter flavored, so for his present this year I decided to get everything cake themed I could find... It was kind of hard because I had this idea super last minute and didn't have time to order anything online, but I think it turned out pretty well. 

The final set-up included a pack of cupcake flavored lip smackers (I know lip smackers are for girls but guys get chapped lips too!), a cupcake piggy bank, birthday cake flavored M&Ms (which are chocolate cake flavored, if you're wondering/buy them and are surprised that they aren't yellow cake flavored like most birthday cake flavored things), a red velvet cupcake candle, a vanilla icing candle, a vanilla cupcake candle (there are a lot of candles that smell like cake!), a headband for small children that has a cupcake antenna, and method's vanilla creme scented hand soap (I also got the body wash but that's not in the picture). Also pictured is a card I got him which I think was supposed to be for a granddaughter, but it was bright green and had cupcakes all over it, so I just crossed that part out. An additional present, and why there are Swedish fish on the pie, was a Beta that was a super cool cream color, who I named Buttercream (he has since died... RIP Buttercream). 

Anyway, to the baking! I found this recipe, along with a bunch of other awesome cake batter themed foods, on Pinterest. The original post is from Pizzazzerie. I decided on this pie because it was something that would keep long enough to hide it from Will and make it in advance, and it seemed like one of the less weird recipes, although a lot of them seem like they could be pretty good. 


 Ingredients for the crust:
About 13 squares of graham crackers
1 tablespoon of sugar
1/4 cup of butter, melted
 For the pudding:
3 cups milk
4 egg yolks
1/4 cup corn starch
1/3 cup sugar
3/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 teaspoons butter
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
6 tablespoons funfetti cake mix
 For the topping:
1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
1 tablespoon sugar
sprinkles/any other decorations you'd like
 First, in a food processor (or if you don't have one in a ziplock with a hammer) grind the graham crackers into fine crumbs
 Place the crumbs in a bowl
 Add your sugar
 And the melted butter
 And combine until it sticks together nicely
 Then place in the pie plate and spread it out, pushing it into the shape of the pan
 Next, place the egg yolks in a bowl
Not pictured: heat the milk in a saucepan over medium heat until it is almost simmering
 Add the cornstarch
 The sugar
 And the salt
 And beat on medium speed until thickened
 While mixing, add the heated milk slowly until everything is combined

 Return this mixture to the saucepan and heat until thickened

 Remove from heat and add butter
 And vanilla extract
 Make sure there aren't any lumps by straining the pudding
 Add the funfetti mix
 Pour into your crust
 Cover with saran wrap, making sure that it's touching the top of the pudding so you don't get a yucky film on top, and place in the fridge for a few hours
 For the topping, make whipped cream by combining the whipping cream...
 The vanilla
 And the sugar
 And then beat it until it looks like whipped cream
 Take your pie out of the fridge once it's solidified a bit (mine was still a bit too runny at this point)

And top with the whipped cream and any other decorations you'd like.

My biggest problem with this recipe was that it never solidified like it should have... I think that the weird runny texture of the pie made it weirder to eat, but it did taste like cake batter, which was awesome. Will seemed pleased, at least by the effort I made! 

No comments:

Post a Comment